Lots of freelancers hate having to call up people on the phone and asking if they’ve got any work for them. If only there was a...
ECM with a visionJelle Van der Linden
Documents, content and information travel throughout a company. In the ideal world, these data are structured, searchable and above all managed properly. In real life, more than 80% of these data are unstructured, untraceable, or locked away in someone’s mailbox or private desktop folder. Corporate documents are often shared with people outside your company through employees’ private dropboxes or via Wetransfer, which makes the purpose and content of these documents unmanageable.
Managing documents, content and information is often referred to as Enterprise Content Management. And although the right ECM platform will give you a head start, there are several other key requirements for any successful ECM project:
- Define your own ECM vision and knowledge-management goals, while keeping in mind that is impossible to structure all your documents and content in one single blow. Prioritise your content and content-driven processes to define your first goals.
- ECM impacts every area of your business. Each department and each role within your organisation will have specific needs and may interact with the content in a different way. It is important to have a clear view on their requirements in order to construct the ideal solution.
- Invest in a metadata model and a metadata management plan. The right metadata is the key to workflow automation.
- Investigate document-driven processes within your company to see if you can digitalize and automate these processes. This will save time for everyone involved in the process.
- Creating a platform that does not disrupt your employees daily work will stimulate the user adoption.
Last but not least, adapt your ECM platform to the digital habits of your employees. Keep in mind that young graduates know how to use a mobile phone since they were 12. They grew up using touch screens and social media. To make sure these employees use the platform provided by their organisation, the platform will need to be as efficient, social and user-friendly as the apps they download on their smartphones.
Not sure where to start or how to adapt your ECM Platform?
Coin has the knowledge and the experience to help you!
Blog written by Jelle Van der Linden
Business Unit Manager COIN (ACA IT-Solutions)